Sturtevant Camp was established as a tent camp in 1893. Located in the upper reaches of Big Santa Anita Canyon, access to camp was originally by way of Mt. Wilson via the Old Mount Wilson Trail. By 1897, proprietor William “Wilbur” Sturtevant had refurbished an abandoned trail to Winter Creek, extended it over Mt. Zion to his camp, and constructed wood-frame cabins for his visitors.
After a series of subsequent delinquent owners, the camp was sold in 1954 to its current owners, the California-Pacific Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. “The church” has made many improvements to Sturtevant over the years, while maintaining its historic integrity and rustic charm.
Reservations had been declining and, especially after the Station Fire in late 2009, the church seriously considered selling the camp. Not wanting the camp to change hands, Friends of the San Gabriels rallied the troops to save Sturtevant Camp from the uncertainty of new ownership. A silent benefactor stepped forward with a generous donation, and the promise of another upon meeting certain performance standards.
The future is now looking bright for Sturtevant Camp. With the logistical help of Friends volunteers, the facility is maintaining its reputation of historical preservation, cleanliness and hospitality. Camp information and a new online reservation system on the busy Adams’ Pack Station website has greatly increased business.
Click here for the latest FSG news for Sturtevant Camp.
Donate to Sturtevant Camp:
Read more about Sturtevant Camp at www.sturtevantcamp.com